Monday, June 12, 2017

We Are Done!!

Whoo Hoo!!!! We have finished our renovation--mostly. We are still going to steam and re-stain the grout on our tile, but that will wait until sometime in the fall. The big renovation is D O N E. I am so relieved, and worn out. Our renovation turned into a much bigger job than I expected.

Getting new floors put in is very similar to moving. Everything was packed and stored in the garage. There was a week we slept on mattresses in the floor. The kids loved that part of the process, and thought we were camping. Our dogs also loved it since they could get closer to us. Initially the install was supposed to take a week. If you read my earlier post, you would know that the install was delayed almost two months before they started. We had everything packed and waited what felt like forever. By the end of the first week of installation it became clear that enough flooring and trim had not been ordered. They were not going to be able to finish the job and had to order more. Grrr....this frustrated me, but what can you do? I want the floor done. So, they order more floor and it would take at least a week to get the shipment in. Two weeks later the flooring and trim are in and the install crew comes back to finish. Guess what? Still not enough flooring. By this point I was to the "you have to be fucking kidding me" stage of the project, and really close to losing my mind. So, we wait another week, and they come back and finally finish the floors. FINALLY!!

Prior to getting the floors put in Mr. Mayer and I began painting. I got everything but trim painted before they began putting in floors. In between the floor install I touched up walls, because these guys were not gentle on a new paint job, and painted trim. Every surface in this house was painted. I hate painting trim as much as I hate painting closets. That's a lot. Mr. Mayer and I got smart about trim though, and used a sprayer. We would tape everything off and spray the trim. That was pretty amazing. Why didn't we think of the sprayer for the walls?! Doh!! There was still some trim that needed to be hand painted, but the bulk we were able to spray and that made life so much easier.

June 1, 2017 the floors were finished. We began this journey on March 16, 2017 thinking it would be a few short weeks and then a distant memory. June 1 we finished. Mr. Mayer and I figured out long ago that if something can go wrong, or become a comedy of errors, it will happen with us. Always. This acceptance has allowed us to just laugh and carry on, and not get to wrapped up in timelines. This project did push my patience, but I didn't throat punch anyone. Our house is like a brand new house. We have beautiful floors and fresh new paint. The dogs are not fans of the floors, but it provides us endless entertainment as they slip around. We have also purchased a robotic vacuum cleaner, and I'm a little appalled at what you can see on the floor now. That used to be on my carpet! Ewww! I am also wondering how my Labrador is no bald with the amount of hair he sheds. We are no longer living out of boxes, and I purged an obscene amount of stuff from this house. It felt really great. Almost as great as having the house done!!


No comments:

Post a Comment